Tuesday, March 10, 2009

the cast of characters

I've talked a little about the country and the food of Oman, but let me take a few moments to introduce you to the cast of characters that are traveling on this trip. I've known Hana for 9 years now. We've had many adventures together through work, adventure racing and search & rescue, but the one adventure we have yet to experience is to travel together. I've known Colleen for a few years, mostly through Hana's circle of friends and via Hana's worldwide travel adventures with her. I met Jenn just last year; we've had a couple of fun weekend activities of camping and skiing/boarding at Tremblant.

It should be a great dynamic - 4 women with varied backgrounds, life experiences, and outlooks. 4 women who are excited about traveling to such an exotic and unfamiliar destination; a place and a culture that simply lends itself to many opportunities for us to grow, share, stretch our boundaries, and laugh.

I asked each of the travelers to write up a little blurb about themselves, so that you all can get to know us a bit better.

Hana
who are you? Hana. Alpha female core with a zen wrapper.

why do you want to go to Oman?
For the swarma. I am on a lifelong pursuit of the best ever chicken swarma sandwich. I'm hoping Oman doesn't disappoint.

what do you hope to get out of the experience? A farmer's tan. Some good stories. A cool piece of art for my home. Time with my fave girlfriends.

and something that we perhaps should know about you before we leave?
I hog the blankets but not the bed. I overpay for everything. I think that every country has good beer but only a few have good wine. I love to go to peoples' home while traveling so I've seen how taxi drivers live the world over.


Colleen

who are you? COLLEEN. Aka crazy colleen, moker (Ed. note: apparently there is a story in there....)

why do you want to go to Oman?
For a new adventure, new food (and Hana, I now don't mind my food touching), new drinks, new culture

what do you hope to get out of the experience? Time with girlfriends from home, some good 'ol Canadian TLC (I so miss it loads) and getting a new FRIDGE MAGNET (Ed. note: apparently there is fridge magnet criteria that we need to be aware of),
mingling with some locals (safe ones, that is), seeing the best of Oman.

and something that we perhaps should know about you before we leave?
My travel idiosyncrasies, I guess, are that I flush the toilet at night, I do have a small bladder so have to stop and pee a lot, I also love a bargain!


Jenn
who are you? Jennifer, aka Jenn. I'm a planner but hoping this trip will help me break the habit and become more of a free spirit ;-)

why do you want to go to Oman? To experience a different part of the world, meet interesting people, taste new food and drinks and see amazing sites!


what do you hope to get out of the experience? To learn something new about myself and have an amazing adventure with 3 awesome women. See something that takes my breath away. Ride a camel, snorkel, hike and camp in the desert, ooh and be fed olives by an Arabian Prince :)


and something that we perhaps should know about you before we leave? Haha..many of the same..small bladder and a terrible sense of direction, I get lost in a parking lot ;) And most importantly ...I get cranky when I'm hungry ;-)


Lisa

who are you? Lisa, aka lala, sometimes known as dharma. I'm a wannabe hippie who loves the idea of packing up a backpack (albeit a 55L backpack) and hitting the road to see where it leads me.

why do you want to go to Oman?
I've never been to the Middle East. I want to change my perceptions about a part of the world that I've only ever read about. I want to live it. And in my own naive way, I want to make a friend or two along the way. You never know!


what do you hope to get out of the experience?
On some secret level, I hope the four of us get invited to visit the Sultan; that we get a chance to take a tour of his castle, his harem, and dine with him over a midday lunch on huge golden cushions. Even, if that doesn't happen, I'd like to have some EPIC adventures with 3 amazing women - opportunities to laugh and explore - I'd like to sleep out in the desert, ride a camel (or attempt to ride one), meet a Bedouin, hike in the mountains, shop at souq, swim in the Arabian Ocean, and go sand boarding on the sand dunes, and so on...


something you should know about me before we leave?
I have a terrible sense of direction. I get turned around easily and often... but it often leads me on the most amazing adventures.


Sounds like quite the cast! This adventure is ripe for the making.
Only 3.5 more weeks to go!

~ Lala

No comments: