Saturday, April 18, 2009

*sigh*

There's something so decadent and well deserved as seeking a beach hangout after a frenetic week and a half of camping, driving, moving from location to location, adventures, adrenaline, laughter, fatigue, and wonderful experiences!

Today, after visiting the Grand Mosque, the biggest mosque in all of Oman (built in 2001), we decided to spoil ourselves with a beach afternoon. We hit the Oman Dive Center, about 20 minutes outside of Muscat. It's a resort and scuba diving center, with a beautiful beach, swimming pool, volleyball court, and complete with an Arabian tent, lounging cushions and shishas (hookahs).

We sunbathed, enjoyed a glass of wine, read, swam, and completely decompressed from the excitement of the last two weeks. It was absolutely divine to have a chance to reflect on the last two weeks of travel, the friendships that were formed and solidified, and the places and things that we've seen and done.

I was reading an excerpt from the Dalai Lama's book before I left for Oman. He was talking about religion, talking about how religions around the world were created, fundamentally, to help people satisfy their biggest needs: find happiness and end suffering. The Dalai believes that we need all these different tapestries of religion to satisfy all the quirks and characteristics of different people, and that as long as we remember the common goal, we can find a way to relate to each other, to have compassion and love for each other.

What struck me the most, I think, about my journey to Oman is that I had a chance to meet people from a religion and a culture that I knew nothing about. I experienced Muslims and Arabs in their home, and I was met with an openness and a gentleness and a warmth that was surprising and wonderful. I truly felt that I have brothers and sisters in this country, across oceans from my home, and it was a reminder to me that I can learn to be more open and more compassionate with the people in my own neighborhood and city and home.

The two weeks have seemed to pass so quickly. We did our best to cram in so many experiences, and we succeeded! But I feel like I've only just started to get my groove here. I'm comfortable with the language (well, at least the 4 phrases that I can speak: Hello, Goodbye, Thank you, You are welcome). I'm comfortable with many of the mannerisms and customs that I've observed from watching people in their home. I feel at ease with the landscape and the terrain of the country and the places/locations of cities. I feel comfortable walking into stores and shops, navigating restaurants, gas stations, and foodstuff centers. I am at ease with smiling at people who are bewildered at the sight of 4 women peeling themselves off the seats of their car and heading into a shop or a gas station, and watching them beam their smiles back in return. I absolutely loved being able to drive a 4WD across a country that was completely unfamiliar and raw.

Tomorrow, this particular journey ends. An ending which is leaving my soul full and happy and without regrets. I feel like I've been shown so much and given many gifts. And I feel so ready to take on another journey when I have the time and space and energy and opportunity!

Until our paths cross again on another journey, I wish you much happiness and lots of love.
~ Lala

1 comment:

jag said...

You're right - "our" two weeks in Oman DID go by quickly!! You are a fabulous travel writer/adventurer and I am grateful you generously brought us along... Welcome home! xox